The first 150 people to get to the Rosebud Cinema Drafthouse before 5:30 p.m. Tuesday will be treated to a free premiere of a new television production devoted to all things Wauwatosa.
McGivern, an Emmy Award-winning actor and broadcast personality, hosts the shows and visits with local folks as he takes viewers on a tour of popular and historic spots, catching a "living there, working there and playing there" spirit of the communities.
McGivern said in an interview that the full spirit of Wauwatosa was hard to squeeze into a half-hour.
"I kept saying, 'Can we make this an hour-long show?'" he said. "There's just so much here, so many places you'd like to show off. The list gets long and you have to trim it to a manageable size."
The short trailer accompanying this story gives a taste of what's to come in the full episode. In it, McGivern stops at Simma's Bakery to decorate a cake and Ted's Ice Cream to make a malted milkshake, and talks to Joe Bartolotta about the explosion of dining spots in the Village.
McGivern will be at the Rosebud, 6823 W. North Ave., for questions after Tuesday's preview.
The show will also air at 7:30 p.m. Thursday on MPTV channels 10 and 36 and again at 8 p.m. Friday on Channel 36 only.
McGivern is seen and heard regularly on local radio and television and is known for Pubic Broadcasting Service specials including "A Midsummer Night McGivern," "John McGivern's Winter Tales" and the Emmy-winning "The Early Stories of John McGivern."
He has also appeared in a number of movies and on Comedy Central.
Following is the entire "Around the Corner" series and premiere broadcast dates:
- Bay View Jan. 26, 7:30 p.m. (series premiere)
- Wauwatosa Feb. 2, 7:30 p.m.
- Riverwest Feb. 9, 7:30 p.m.
- Cedarburg Feb. 16, 7:30 p.m.
- Sheboygan Feb. 23, 7:30 p.m.
- King Drive March 1, 7:30 p.m.
- Burlington March 8, 7:30 p.m.
- Brady Street March 8 at 8:15 p.m.
- Racine March 22 at 7:30 p.m.
- Third Ward March 29 at 7:30 p.m.
- Greendale April 5 at 7:30 p.m.
- Lincoln village April 12 at 7:30 p.m.
- East Town April 19 at 7:30 p.m.
Episodes will repeat next day at 8:00pm on MPTV-HD Channel 36.1.