Police Reports: A Week of Frequent and Flagrant Disturbances of the Peace

Maybe it was the weather, but the Wauwatosa police must have found things less than warm and mild as large numbers of people and at least one dog found something to get overly upset about – and usually got arrested for it.


Chump change

A resident of the 6400 block of Washington Circle reported that some time between 3 p.m. Saturday and 2 p.m. Sunday someone entered his unlocked car in his driveway and stole change.

Loss-prevention problems

At 2:45 p.m., an employee of at Mayfair Mall reported the theft of five pairs of sunglasses worth $1,093 retail. She said a large group entered the shop and milled around, then left without making any purchases, and she quickly noticed the glasses were missing.

On video, three men were seen making the thefts. A detective on the case noted that he was assigned to four other similar thefts at Solstice, but due to poor quality video and a lack of suspects, he recommended suspending the investigation.

Just over two hours later, at 5:07 p.m., Solstice reported the theft of yet another pair of glasses, these worth $275, this time by an unknown woman.

In one ear and out the other

At 2:15 p.m., an 18-year-old Milwaukee man was arrested for theft when he was caught trying to steal a pair of $50 headphones from the at Mayfair. He said his $300 pair had been stolen from him and he needed his music. He was banned from the mall for a year.

A point of non-entry

An employee of Designs by Guzzardo's, 6510 River Parkway, reported that when she arrived at work at 6:45 a.m. she found that overnight someone had pushed open a window in an apparent attempt to break in.

However, nothing was missing and police determined that no entry had been gained. The window couldn't be opened far enough to admit a person and anyway led only into a locked closet.


A very brief and empty-handed escape

At 8:24 p.m., a 26-year-old Cudahy man was arrested for theft after he was chased down by a police officer after trying to steal a pair of $180 headphones from the Apple Store at Mayfair.

According to the report, an officer arriving to assist with another call at Mayfair saw the Cudahy man running madly across the parking lot. When he caught up to him, the suspect was trying to scale a chain link fence.

The officer asked him why he was running, and he said he had just stolen something from the mall. An Apple Store security guard soon arrived to say that he had seen the suspect take the headphones and confronted him outside the store. The suspect handed back the headphones, he said, and then bolted.

Besides being ticketed for theft, he was banned from the mall for five years.

Taking his best shots

At 4:18 p.m., a 22-year-old Milwaukee man was arrested for disorderly conduct and criminal damage to property after a manager at the Walgreen’s at 2275 N. Mayfair Rd. reported he had started a fight in the store with one of her employees.

Police spotted the man walking west along West North Avenue, took him into custody and brought him back to the store for questioning. It turned out the altercation was over a woman.

During the brief set-to in the store, the suspect pushed his rival into a shelf, knocking off and breaking $40 worth of shot glasses.

Creating multiple disturbances

At 12:10 p.m., police were called to at Mayfair Mall on a report of an attempted retail theft, leading to the eventual arrest of two Milwaukee sisters, 24 and 22, for disorderly conduct.

A Payless employee had seen the two attempting to steal two pairs of sunglasses and two necklaces. He said that when he confronted them, they returned the sunglasses but not the necklaces, so he called mall security.

When security arrived, the women, who had two small children with them, began screaming and cursing and refused to allow themselves to be detained. A police officer found them in Boston Store, and the screaming began again, causing a disturbance in front of about 40 customers, including children.

The row continued as they were escorted to a seating area and, after another officer arrived to assist, both were with some difficulty handcuffed and taken to the station, where they were booked for disorderly conduct. Mall security also arrived to issue them five-year bans from the mall.

Fired, and not likely to be rehired

A 20-year-old Milwaukee woman was arrested on an outstanding warrant after police were called to remove her from the property of the Discovery store, 2857 N. Mayfair Rd., from which she had just been fired.

The store manager said that the woman was outside yelling and banging on the windows. By the time police arrived, she had calmed down and was cooperative but denied making the disturbance.

She had a Menomonee Falls warrant for disorderly conduct, and after her arrest for that she was advised not to return to Discovery without a police escort.


A willing informant

At 2:29 p.m., the construction supervisor at the new Walmart Market, 3850 N. 124th St., reported that one of his workers had just seen a theft take place at the site. He said he had seen a man remove a box from the building and also entering and removing something from a plumbing contractor’s van, then flee in a waiting car with a driver.

The supervisor chased the men in his car and got five of six license plate characters before they lost him.

Police matched the description and video of the van to a registered license and have two known suspects in the case – after a woman at the registration's address told them exactly who the men were, that they indeed had taken the van that day, and added that they were probably outing stealing things in it.

The plumber found he was missing $500 worth of tools.

Suspicions confirmed

At 1:37 p.m., a Milwaukee woman reported that just a few minutes earlier she had spotted two men acting suspiciously near her car while it was parked briefly at Mayfair Mall. The two left quickly when she approached and she found her window had been smashed out. Nothing was missing from her car.

A new take on withholding evidence

At 12:58 p.m., a 23-year-old Sturtevant woman was arrested for theft at in Mayfair Mall after she was caught trying to steal $436.50 worth of merchandise.

She had been flagged as suspicious when she made a $150 return of other merchandise and came up in the store computer as a customer who made excessive returns.

She was watched and, after making some purchases with her return credit, she carried more than 20 items into a fitting room, where she removed the security sensors, came out and then bagged them up with her other items in clear view of an employee.

When she left the store, alarms went off anyway – she had put six of the active sensors in her pocket. She also had three different kinds of prescription pills in her possession and admitted to having been addicted to painkillers and cocaine.

That may have clouded her judgment.


Dog is large and at large, but not at 'play'

At 11:26 a.m., a woman called police from a home in the 2500 block of North 118th Street to report that she had been chased and bitten by a very large brown dog that was at large and had attacked her while she was working in her yard.

She said the dog chased her around and around, barking and growling, while she dodged behind trees to try to escape it. It bit her hand at one point, but she was wearing work gloves and came away with only a blood blister.

She said the dog continued to chase her until she finally jumped on top of a work bench, and it finally went away.

Police made contact with a neighbor who said he knew the dog well; it was a bull mastiff that was frequently at large and belonged to a woman in the 11800 block of West Clarke Street.

Police found that a number of other complaints had been made about the dog being at large, including one in which it knocked a child off his bike.

Police left a citation for the 53-year-old woman who owns the dog – she was not home while the dog was still roaming the neighborhood – and later reached her by phone. She acknowledged her dog looks intimidating, but surmised that he just “wanted to play with” the most recent victim.

Giving up the shirts off his back

At 11:02 p.m., an 18-year-old Milwaukee man was arrested for theft from at Mayfair after police, called in by mall security, found him hiding in the parking lot. He ran, but was chased along the railroad tracks and eventually brought to bay in the parking lot of , 2635 N. Mayfair Rd.

He had fled from store security after stealing two shirts and no longer had them on, but officers found them along his route of escape.

Counter to all good sense and decorum

At 3:44 a.m., a 36-year-old Milwaukee man was arrested for disorderly conduct after creating repeated disturbances and refusing to leave the George Webb restaurant at 6108 Blue Mound Ave.

The night manager said he had been back and forth between the restaurant and the laundromat next door since 10 p.m., bought nothing, kept asking for water, and then begun to panhandle other customers.

Finally, when he came in again at about 3:40 a.m., she refused him water and asked him to leave, whereupon he became angry, jumped up and walked around on the counter, then jumped down behind it and helped himself to a mouthful of water from the tap.

He then did go out the door, but turned and spat the water on the window.

Police found him at Blue Mound and Hawley roads. He said he was a homeless drifter and refused to answer any questions about the incident at Webb’s except to say, “I didn’t know I was in Tosa.”


Remember when school fights were behind the stadium?

At 12:28 p.m., two Wauwatosa boys, both 15, were arrested for disorderly conduct after they got into a fight in the cafeteria during lunch period. Both showed police their phones with multiple text messages between them about it being “time” for them to fight. They said nothing about their choice of place.

Of course we belive you – why wouldn't we?

At 12:08 p.m., a 39-year-old Milwaukee woman arrived at the Wauwatosa police station to complain that on March 3 while she was at Mayfair Mall, someone had stolen an envelope containing $750 from her purse.

She said the money was for her rent, and when asked why she waited nearly three weeks to report it, she said she had gone immediately to mall security about it, and had been told they would review video and get back to her, but they hadn’t.

She also said that if she could provide a police report about the alleged theft, the Social Development Commission would cover her unpaid rent. The police report notes – perhaps for the benefit of the SDC reviewer – that Mayfair security has no record of any report from the woman about any theft.

Probably not the best strategy for getting your children back

At 11:30 a.m., a 36-year-old Wauwatosa woman was arrested for resisting and obstructing an officer when she refused to comply with a court order issued to Child Welfare to remove her children from her home. Two children had been picked up from school but the third was suspected to be at the residence in the 900 block of North 123rd Street.

Child Welfare officials asked for police assistance because the woman had a history of confrontations and threats. Despite being told that the court order allowed them to search her home, the woman refused to allow officers to enter and shoved a police officer when he tried. The child was not found in the home.

Smashing and grabbing goes on

A resident of the 4700 block of North 117th Street reported that some time between 10 p.m. Tuesday and 4:30 a.m. Wednesday, someone had smashed a window in his locked car and stolen his stereo, a laptop computer and a GPS unit.


Under lock but in view means gone

A Green Bay woman reported that some time between 5 and 7:15 p.m. someone smashed a window out of her car and stole her purse while it was parked in the lot behind , 2201 N. Mayfair Rd., where she works.

She said her charge cards were used to make $100 in fraudulent purchases. She had left the purse in view on the front seat of the car.

Smarts were on clearance when they were born

At 2:59 p.m., two men, 49 and 18, both of Milwaukee, were arrested for theft by fraud at at Mayfair after they were seen filling a large bag taken from a trash receptacle with clearance items and then asking to return the merchandise for store credit. They were also banned from the mall for a year.

Well-known to clerks and the court

At 12:39 p.m., a manager at the store at Mayfair reported that a known customer had been seen on video stealing a ring just after making what was possibly a fraudulent return of other items.

The manager said the woman had been suspected of past thefts, and police found the name she left on her return slip matched a Milwaukee woman who has two open retail theft cases in Milwaukee County.

Maybe he should look for a night school

At 11:48 a.m., a 17-year-old Milwaukee boy was cited for habitual truancy from . The boy had been absent without excuse all or part of 30 days this semester and had been warned by police in February, but the absences have continued.

For the second time, he explained that he just couldn't get up before 11 a.m. and didn't feel like it would be worth it to go to school so late.


Just what you want in a nurse

At 4:12 p.m., a 20-year-old Milwaukee woman was arrested for disorderly conduct after staff at , 7425 Harwood Avenue, reported that she had become angry and boisterous and slapped an employee when she was denied registration to a certified nursing assistant class.

Anew staff said the woman had lied on an application saying she had never been arrested for a crime. A background check showed she had been arrested three times and convicted once, for disorderly conduct.

When she was denied, she began to yell at and threaten an employee, saying,  “Don’t let me see you leave here by yourself.” The woman was picked up by officers in the 7200 block of Milwaukee Avenue.

March 17

Candid on camera

At 5:45 p.m., a 23-year-old Brookfield man was arrested for disorderly conduct on St. Patrick's Day by an officer monitoring , 10841 Blue Mound Rd., when he was seen urinating publicly on a building on a building in the 500 block of North 108th St.

When asked at the station if he wished to make a statement, he looked into a booking room camera and said, “I pissed on the building and got a $114 ticket for it.”

pupdog1 March 31, 2012 at 09:21 AM
Mayfair thefts. What a suprise. I am stunned. I go to Mayfair at least twice a week, and often don't see ANY security inside the mall for at least half an hour. And when I do, it's usually some goof making time with a counter gal in the food court. Mall management has no idea that they are losing that mall, day-by-day. I say that from the perspective of having been a customer since before Mayfair had a roof.


More »
Got a question? Something on your mind? Talk to your community, directly.
Note Article
Just a short thought to get the word out quickly about anything in your neighborhood.
Share something with your neighbors.What's on your mind?What's on your mind?Make an announcement, speak your mind, or sell somethingPost something
See more »