Recall Election: The Basics Before Casting a Ballot in Wauwatosa

See the candidates that will be on the ballot, learn where to vote, and read a list of things to know about voting from the Government Accountability Board.

Voters across the state will head back to the polls Tuesday to choose between Gov. Scott Walker and challenger Milwaukee Mayor Tom Barrett.

Republican Gov. Walker faces recall after opponents turned in hundreds of thousands of signatures in an effort to remove him from office. Lt. Gov. Rebecca Kleefisch and four Republican state senators also face recall challenges.

Races on the ballot Tuesday are:

Governor: Scott Walker, Tom Barrett and Hari Trivedi

Lt. Governor: Rebecca Kleefisch and Mahlon Mitchell 

Registered voters can find information about their polling place and the races on the ballot at the Wisconsin Voter Public Access website. To see the details, enter your name and birthdate in the fieds provided and then click your name to get to the voter information page.

The state Government Accountability Board is projecting voter turnout of between 60 and 65 percent, but Director Kevin Kennedy said turnout is hard to predict because the state has never had an election like this before.

Polling places for all districts open at 7 a.m. and close at 8 p.m.

Wauwatosa polling locations by ward:

  • Ward 1 — Fire Station No. 1, 1601 Underwood Ave.
  • Wards 2-3 — Washington School, 2177 N. 67th St.
  • Wards 4-5 — City Hall Lower Civic Center, 7725 W. North Ave.
  • Wards 6-7 — Wilson School, 1060 N. Glenview Ave.
  • Wards 8-9 — Underwood School, 11132 W. Potter Road
  • Ward 10 — Hart Park Recreation Building, 7300 W. Chestnut St.
  • Wards 11-12 — Jefferson School, 6927 Maple Terrace
  • Ward 13 — Longfellow Middle School, 7600 W. North Ave.
  • Wards 14-15 — Roosevelt School, 2534 N. 74th St.
  • Wards 16-17 — McKinley School, 2434 N. 90th St.
  • Wards 18-19 — West High School, 11400 W. Center St.
  • Ward 20 — Public Works Building, 11100 W. Walnut Road
  • Ward 21 — Underwood School, 11132 W. Potter Road
  • Ward 22 — Currie Park Clubhouse, 3535 N. Mayfair Road
  • Wards 23-24 — Madison School, 9925 W. Glendale Ave.

Voters uncertain about where to vote can go to the Government Accountability Board’s voter public access web site to find the correct polling place or contact the City Clerk’s office at (414) 479-8921.

FAQs about Tuesday's election

The Government Accountability Board, which oversees elections in Wisconsin, provided a list of answers to frequently asked questions about voting in Wisconsin. Here are some of the most important things to know.

Voter photo ID: The law is currently on hold as two lower court decisions stopping voter photo ID are being appealed. 

Check your registration – Elections officials urge voters to use the state's Voter Public Access website to make sure that they are registered at their current address.  Additionally, VPA will identify the races voters are eligible to vote in, and will tell voters whether they are eligible to vote within a Senate District that has a recall election. Voters who are unsure about whether they are eligible to vote in a state Senate recall primary or election should contact their municipal clerk’s office directly. If you have not registered to vote yet or you have a problem with your registration, contact your local municipal clerk’s office to check your options. You can register at the polling place on Election Day.

Know what proof of residence to bring: If you are already registered to vote, you will only need to state your name and address to receive a ballot, and are not required to provide any additional documentation. After stating your name, you will need to sign the poll list.

If you are registering at the polling place, make sure you have proof of residence and your Wisconsin driver’s license number. If you do not have a Wisconsin driver’s license, you can use the number from your Wisconsin ID card, or the last four digits of your Social Security number. Proof of residence can be established with a current lease, recent utility bill or other official document issued by a unit of government with the voter’s name and current address on it. A college photo ID is also acceptable if the institution has provided the polling place with a list of students who live in its housing and if the housing list includes citizenship information. 

Avoid bringing undue attention or risk causing a disturbance: The state also is urging voters not to wear campaign paraphernalia such as campaign/candidate buttons, shirts, hats, etc. inside the polling place. Those who wear campaign paraphernalia may be asked to cover it up or leave.


More »
Got a question? Something on your mind? Talk to your community, directly.
Note Article
Just a short thought to get the word out quickly about anything in your neighborhood.
Share something with your neighbors.What's on your mind?What's on your mind?Make an announcement, speak your mind, or sell somethingPost something
See more »