Monday, March 11, 2013
Both fires drew the Wauwatosa Fire Department into action, but both were very small.
Two small fires in Wauwatosa on Monday night caused little damage and no injuries. A kitchen fire in the vicinity of 75th and Wisconsin Avenue resulted in no damage. At Normandy Village Apartments, 2552 N. 124th Street, a kitchen fire spread to an adjoining wall and three apartments were evacuated, according to Wauwatosa Fire Department Assistant Chief Jim Case. The Red Cross was engaged to find housing for residents of those three apartments.
Saturday, October 6, 2012
Business and Fire Department teamed up Saturday to remind people to check those home smoke and carbon monoxide detectors and replace them before it's too late.
Depending upon whom you ask, we are either a week into National Fire Prevention Month or just kicking off National Fire Prevention Week, Sunday through next Saturday. Fire departments tend to observe the week, sponsored by the National Fire Protection Association, which is said by some to have its roots in the Great Chicago Fire of 1871, although officially formed in 1896 by a group of insurance companies. Other organizations and businesses promote fire safety throughout October, and among them, on Saturday, was Wauwatosa's Puhl's True Value Hardware, 1526 N. 68th St. Puhl's brought in representatives from the companies whose home fire safety equipment it sells, offered discounts and prize drawings and provided activities for kids, such as…
Thursday, September 20, 2012
Wauwatosa and other area fire departments train together to rescue fallen firefighters when seconds mean the difference between survival – and a memorial service.
Crawling across the floor of an enormous warehouse, a team of six firefighters from different departments follows a hose line toward what they hope is their fallen comrade. Simulating a "mayday" call, these firefighters are practicing Rapid Intervention Training, in which they attempt to rescue a fallen firefighter. “The RIT training is about saving our own and being on the same page no matter where we need to respond in the county," Wauwatosa Assistant Chief Scott Erke said. "Not only are we sharing equipment and personnel, we are increasing the confidence in our own personnel operating at the scene. "This training provides the confidence that the responding units from other communities ‘have our back.'" Along with the Wauwatosa Fire …
Friday, April 6, 2012
Acrid smell came from junkyard in the Valley, which burned for hours producing haze and obnoxious odors.
People leaving what was kind of a stinky Opening Day game loss Friday by the Brewers to the St. Louis Cardinals were treated to a nasty dessert of acrid smoke, and a foul pall settled on the rest of Wauwatosa in the hours to come. Assistant Fire Chief Bill Rice of the Wauwatosa Fire Department said the sick smell and haze was from a massive fire at Miller Compressing Co., a scrapyard in the Menomonee Valley at 1640 W. Bruce St., which caught fire about 5:30 p.m. and burned for hours. Rice said he had heard from residents as far west in Wauwatosa as the County Grounds, and reports also came from Brookfield. Rice said that sometimes such a fire would be contained but not fought overly aggressively because firefighters would not know what all…
Thursday, August 18, 2011
Resident got out uninjured and area fire units save structure after report of smoke.
- POLICE & FIRE
- Jim Price
Thursday, August 18, 2011
A Tosa home was severely damaged by fire early Sunday, but thanks to an alert neighbor and quick response from Tosa and area firefighters, no one was injured and the house was not a total loss. The fire was reported at 7:55 a.m. by a neighbor who saw smoke coming from the attic of the residence at 1410 N 65th St. The homeowner was home at the time but was able to escape without injury, said Wauwatosa Deputy Fire Chief Jim Case. The fire was put out in about 45 minutes by Wauwatosa Fire Department units with assistance from other fire departments, including West Allis, Elm Grove, Butler, North Shore and Brookfield. The exact cause of the fire is as yet undetermined but is suspected to be electrical in nature, Case said. Damage to the home …
Tuesday, July 26, 2011
With one dissenter, panel votes to do away with residency requirement for officers below chief.
New Wauwatosa Fire Chief Rob Ugaste envisions a day when the Fire Department can be leaner in ranking officers, yet more responsive. That will happen, he says, when better communications and cross-training between area fire departments allows for a battalion chief or deputy chief from West Allis or Brookfield to respond first to a fire or other emergency in Tosa, or vice versa, and take command. "But we aren't there yet," Ugaste told the Employee Relations Committee of the Common Council on Tuesday. "Until we are, and it will be awhile, we need to have special individuals in those roles." Ugaste was asking the committee to do away with Wauwatosa's rather arcane residency rules for officers of rank in the Fire Department, which require the …